Terms Used In Kumiko and Shoji?

terms used in kumiko ans shoji

No matter what your hobby, you need to know the buzz terms.

The following is an example of terms you will see and hear woodworkers use.

Some of the terms you will hear more than others. These do not include the names of Kumiko patterns. See the articles at bottom for more information on Kumiko.

Some terms used in Kumiko and Shoji are:

Hake: Is a generic term meaning brush.

Hatagane: Clamps

Jigumi: A structure that houses an intricate Kumiko patterns.

Kanna: Japanese hand pull plane.

KaraKami: Intricately patterned paper imported from China during the Heian Period.

Kebiki: Generic term for a Japanese marking gauge.

Kumiko: Making of patterns using no fasteners, over 300 patterns that represent something important in Japanese culture.

Mikomi: The side of the Kumiko.

Mistuke: Front of the the kumiko.

Mitsu-kude: A Kumiko pattern based on the triangle.

Ryoba: Japanese pull saw with teeth on both top and bottom edges, one side for ripping and one side for cross cuts.

Shoji: Means to block out light and is used to describe doors, window coverings, sliding doors, screens.

Tategu: Generic term covering all internal and external windows and doors.

Tateguya: Craftsmen or business that makes and installs Tategu.

Washi: Type of Japanese handmade paper.

Articles and Resources

It’s all about education. I earn a small commission from some links in my articles. This is at no extra cost to you. You get the same prices, sales and discounts as anyone else. These commissions go towards educating people interested in learning the art of Kumiko. And to support local food banks. In fact 10% of all profit goes towards food banks. If you make a purchase I want to thank you in advance.

Similar Posts